OA Library

New Sedgwick Gunpowder Works, Sedgwick, Cumbria. Archaeological Watching Brief.

Clarke, Steve (2008) New Sedgwick Gunpowder Works, Sedgwick, Cumbria. Archaeological Watching Brief. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
L9755_Complete_Binder.pdf

2MB

Abstract

In September 2006, OA North was commissioned by Harrison Pitt Architects, acting on behalf of The Caravan Club, to carry out an archaeological watching brief during development work at Low Park Wood caravan park at Sedgwick, near Kendal, Cumbria (centred at NGR SD 5098 8814). The caravan park occupies the site of the former New Sedgwick Gunpowder Works, which was designated as a Scheduled Monument (SM 27807) in 2000. The watching brief was required to facilitate the production of a written report to describe and record any archaeology encountered during the work, and to satisfy Scheduled Monument Consent for the development. The New Sedgwick Gunpowder Works was one of seven powder manufactories that were active in the historic counties of Westmorland and the Furness area of Lancashire (now Cumbria) from the late eighteenth century. It was in production between 1857 and 1935, and produced gunpowder for the numerous mineral mines and stone quarries which existed in the area. The proposed scheme of development allowed for the refurbishment of the toilet blocks, the refurbishment of the reception area, the opening of a new interpretation and information centre, repair work to the access roads, and repairs to several caravan pitches. Of these works, only the proposed repairs to the access roads and caravan pitches were considered to have archaeological implications, and it was these works that were targeted for archaeological monitoring.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4551
Deposited By: Parsons
Deposited On:13 Dec 2018 12:56
Last Modified:13 Dec 2018 12:56

Repository Staff Only: item control page