OA Library

The Vicarage, Market Place, Dalton-In-Furness, Cumbria. Rapid Desk-Based Assessment and Recording of Human Remains.

Bates, Andy and Bullock, Vicki (2007) The Vicarage, Market Place, Dalton-In-Furness, Cumbria. Rapid Desk-Based Assessment and Recording of Human Remains. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
Complete Report.pdf

31MB

Abstract

During construction of an extension to The Vicarage, Market Place, Dalton-in- Furness, Cumbria (NGR SD 2262 7372), a human burial was identified. Barrow Borough Council contacted Cumbria County Council’s Historic Environment Services (CCCHES) who issued an archaeological brief (Appendix 1) requesting a rapid desk-based assessment and the recording in-situ of the burial. Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) were commissioned by the Carlisle Diocesan Board of Finance to undertake the project; the work was completed in August and September2006. The Vicarage, a Grade II listed building (LB SMR 26894), is located in an area of recognised archaeological potential within the historic town of Dalton-in-Furness, and lies adjacent to the Church of St Mary (HER 2284), Dalton-in-Furness Castle (HER 4381), and the medieval market place. Also nearby is the site of a free school for children of the town which was founded in 1622 (HER 2283) and now the Chequers Hotel.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4553
Deposited By: Parsons
Deposited On:13 Dec 2018 13:58
Last Modified:13 Dec 2018 13:58

Repository Staff Only: item control page