OA Library

Hargreaves' warehouse, Church, Accrington, Lancashire. Heritage Appraisal.

Miller, Ian (2011) Hargreaves' warehouse, Church, Accrington, Lancashire. Heritage Appraisal. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
Hargreaves' Warehouse Archaeological Appraisal.pdf

3MB

Abstract

In December 2011, Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) was commissioned by Lambert Smith Hampton, acting on behalf of Hyndburn Borough Council, to assess the archaeological significance and produce a heritage appraisal of a substantial, four storey canal-side building known as Hargreaves’ Warehouse. The building lies between the southern bank of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and Blackburn Road in Church, some 1.8km to the west of Accrington, Lancashire (centred on NGR SD 74260 28551). The building lies a short distance to the south-west of the town centre, in the heart of the Church Canalside Conservation Area. This incorporates the historic core of Church together with the canal corridor, including the Aspen Valley area of Oswaldtwistle. The designated area is characterised to a large extent by industrial structures dating to the Georgian era, which are dominated by the canal, its associated bridges, the Commercial Inn, and Hargreaves’ Warehouse. The warehouse also has statutory designation as a Grade II listed building and, as such, is considered to be of regional importance in its own right.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4621
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:31 Jan 2019 12:18
Last Modified:31 Jan 2019 12:18

Repository Staff Only: item control page