OA Library

Godstow Weir Reconstruction, Godstow, Oxford

Dalton, John and Hiller, Jon (2000) Godstow Weir Reconstruction, Godstow, Oxford. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXGOD99.pdfA.pdf

3MB

Abstract

During 1998 & 1999 the Oxford Archaeological Unit (OAU) undertook a watching brief at Godstow Weir, Godstow, Oxon (NGR SP 484091). Deposits and features associated with the construction of the existing weir and the creation of navigation cut and periodic dredging were identified and recorded. The topography of the deposits excavated at the north end of the island adjacent to the weir appeared to indicate that a greater volume of dredged material from the river had been deposited on the west side of the island than the east, an event may have occured at the time of the construction of the 'New Cut' in 1780 or during subsequent works. Clay and gravel river bed deposits were observed during the breaking out of the exisiting weir structure. No further archaeological evidence was recovered relating to the abbey buildings or grounds and no human remains encountered.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:484
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:04 Feb 2011 14:59
Last Modified:22 Dec 2011 14:40

Repository Staff Only: item control page