OA Library

The Old Rectory Letcombe Bassett

Warner, Angela The Old Rectory Letcombe Bassett. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
LEBOR14_WB.pdf

28MB
[img] PDF
LEBOR14_BA.pdf

4MB

Abstract

The Old Rectory is a Grade II listed building and was the residence of the incumbent since construction, however, by the time of listing in 1951 it had passed into private hands. The current house was constructed in the 17th century, extending an earlier building. A truss comprising cusped principal rafters and a cranked tie-beam in the roof structure suggests that the origin of this earlier building may lie in the early-14th century, although this early phase had already been considerably altered by the 17th century. In the late-18th century, a single-storied brick extension was constructed to the rear of the house and the older building remodelled. In turn, this extension underwent alteration a century later when the roof was raised and the upper rooms were added. Throughout the 20th century, minor improvements were undertaken, with the construction of a conservatory and the fitting of a modern kitchen and utility room occurring around the time of the turn of the current century. The programme of work which necessitated the watching brief focussed on structural repairs to the building caused by water ingress and the use of inappropriate materials such as the cement-based render to the timber-framed frontage. The timber frame was exposed during the removal of the cement render, revealing the external frame had suffered severe decay due to the render and required major repairs and substantial replacement. Other work included the installation of a damp-proof membrane to the ground floor and considerable repairs to the roof structures which had suffered some decay due to water ingress.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4923
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:14 Jun 2019 14:05
Last Modified:24 Jun 2019 09:25

Repository Staff Only: item control page