OA Library

Former Gasworks at Crow Lane Romford

Warner, Angela Former Gasworks at Crow Lane Romford. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
RGA18.pdf

18MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology was commissioned by Montagu Evans LLP on behalf of National Grid to create an Historic Building Record of the former gasworks at Crow Lane, Romford, London Borough of Havering. The site had been developed from the early 1880s as a new site to allow the expansion of the Romford Gas and Coke Company and there was further expansion during the 20th century through the acquisition of adjacent parcels of land. In common with other gasworks across the country the site was overhauled in the later 20th century after the decision to phase out producing coal gas in favour of natural gas but four gasholders survived into the 20th century. These holders subsequently became redundant and have recently been dismantled. An archive record was created prior to (and during) the dismantling of the last three holders as part of a national programme of recording these distinctive structures which have formed familiar landmarks in towns and cities throughout much of the 19th and 20th centuries. The three gasholders recorded are each 20th-century structures and typical for this period of gasholder design. They are each above ground, spiral-guided holders without standards. Holder No.4 was constructed in c.1925 while holders 7 and 9 were constructed in c.1960-61. There were some differences in the construction of all the holders, particularly in the trussed structures that support the shallow-domed crowns. The work has provided for posterity an archive record of these distinctive structures and it will allow comparison with other sites

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater London
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
ID Code:4961
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:20 Jun 2019 16:37
Last Modified:20 Jun 2019 16:37

Repository Staff Only: item control page