OA Library

Land off Windmill Place East Challow Oxfordshire

Thacker, Gerry Land off Windmill Place East Challow Oxfordshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
ECWP14_report.pdf

2MB

Abstract

During June 2014 Oxford Archaeology carried out a trial trench evaluation on land off Windmill Close, East Challow Oxfordshire on behalf of Bovis Homes. The evaluation comprised 20 trenches, each measuring 30m by 1.5m arrayed across the site. The evaluation uncovered several shallow linear ditches some of which contained a small assemblage of abraded prehistoric, Roman and medieval pottery, and a single struck flint of prehistoric origin. The nature of the finds by no means provided firm dating evidence for any of the features. Most of the features were aligned broadly north-west to south-east, mirroring both the orientation of the present field boundaries and the field plots shown on historic maps of 1753 and 1780. Roman pottery retrieved from two of these features may hint at a Roman origin for these remnant field systems, given the proximity of the known Roman villa to the north, but given the abraded nature of the sherds and small size of the assemblage, may equally be residual. ©

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:4994
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:03 Jul 2019 11:37
Last Modified:03 Jul 2019 11:37

Repository Staff Only: item control page