OA Library

Land to the Rear of The Old Forge, Westonon- the-Green, Oxfordshire

Bashford, Robin Land to the Rear of The Old Forge, Westonon- the-Green, Oxfordshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
WFORGE15.pdf

879kB

Abstract

Between December 2015 and January 2016, Oxford Archaeology (OA) undertook a watching brief at The Old Forge, Weston-on-the-Green, Oxfordshire (SP 5323 1870). The watching brief monitored the excavation of strip foundation trenches for an extension to the rear of the property, and revealed natural geology comprising loose brownish yellow gravelly sand with small-large sub-rounded pebbles of sandy limestone. Although the British Geological Survey maps the geology of the area of the site as Peterborough Member Mudstone, it seems likely that the gravel deposit derives from an outcrop of the band of Kellaway Sands shown to the north of the site on the same survey, and may account for the influx of ground water encountered during the excavation of the foundation trenches. The natural geology had been truncated by a series of pits which produced predominantly late 19th - early 20th century artefactual material, possibly associated with the use of the forge by the Kirtland family throughout the 19th century. A possible east-west aligned ditch, with limestone rubble along its southern edge, probably represented an earlier version of the existing property boundary. The limestone rubble may have represented a demolished wall or a rudimentary revetment along the edge of the feature. The remaining deposits encountered comprised garden soils reflecting the current use of the site

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:5231
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:16 Aug 2019 14:41
Last Modified:16 Aug 2019 14:41

Repository Staff Only: item control page