OA Library

Pembroke College Oxford Old Quad and Porter’s Lodge

Gill, Jonathan Pembroke College Oxford Old Quad and Porter’s Lodge. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
OXPEOQ15.pdf

12MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology was commissioned to carry out an archaeological watching brief and historic building recording at Pembroke College, Oxford focusing on the Old Quad and the ranges at the north-west corner of this area. The below-ground works were more limited than anticipated and comprised two test pits within the lawn of the quad as well as the monitoring of some drainage outlet works towards the east end of the quad. These works did not reveal any significant features. The investigation has also included building recording in the Events Office at the west end of the north range of this quad and the Porter's Lodge to the west. The main development work here was the creation of two doorways between the Events Office and the passageway to allow the Porter's Lodge to be relocated to the east side of the passage. The work necessitated the lowering of the floor in the west half of the Events Office. The suspended joist floor was recorded prior to removal and the floor reduction was monitored. Various finds were recovered from the fill beneath the joists (clay pipes and glass fragments) whose late 17th/early 18th-century date corresponded closely to that of the construction of the building. Prior to the current project the Events Office had a similar layout to that shown on the 1875 Ordnance Survey Town Plan and also on a plan from 1939 included in the Royal Commission's Inventory on the Monuments of Oxford. Each plan showed a set of alcoves or walk-in cupboards against the west wall and the area was shown to have been used as a Bursary. The alcoves incorporated a sunken void beneath the southern part of the floor, accessible via a trap door, and there was evidence of a similar void beneath the northern alcove (subsequently filled in). As this area was a Bursary it may be that these underfloor voids were used to store money or valuables, and at the south end of the alcoves there was also a safe

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:5236
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:16 Aug 2019 15:35
Last Modified:16 Aug 2019 15:35

Repository Staff Only: item control page