OA Library

St. Botolph's Church, Longthorpe, Peterborough: An Archaeological Watching Brief

Hickling, Steve (2005) St. Botolph's Church, Longthorpe, Peterborough: An Archaeological Watching Brief. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
CCCAFU_report784.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

2MB

Abstract

On the 17th January 2005 the Cambridgeshire County Council Archaeological Field Unit was called to monitor groundworks for an extension to St. Botolph's Church, Longthorpe. A stripped area for a new floor and a foundation trench were examined. The only potentially interesting archaeological find of the watching brief was the discovery that the foundations of the chancel appeared to be of two phases. The SMR records that there was a 'Chapel belonging to Peterborough Abbey at Longthorpe c.1189' and that in 'c.1262 - 1273 old chapel taken down and rebuilt on new site at insistence of Sir William of Thorpe' (SMR01927). The fabric of the present building is thought to be 13th century, so maybe it was built on the same site, or utilised an older church building site.

Item Type:Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords:St. Botolph's Church, Longthorpe, Peterborough, peterborough, longthorpe, Watching Brief, watching brief, floor, chancel, foundation, foundations, extension, church, chapel, Medieval, medieval, 784, report 784, Report 784, CCCAFU report 784
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:5360
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:13 Sep 2019 13:03
Last Modified:13 Sep 2019 13:03

Repository Staff Only: item control page