OA Library

84 St Aldates Oxford

Bashford, Robin 84 St Aldates Oxford. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
OX84SA14.pdf

1MB

Abstract

In April 2014, Oxford Archaeology was commissioned by Jonathan Ungar to undertake an archaeological watching brief during the excavation of six geotechnical pits and two boreholes at 84 St Aldates, Oxford (SP 5139 0584). The work was in advance of the re-construction of the recently dismantled rear wing of the property, which is likely to be of 17th century date. The watching brief revealed natural gravel of the floodplain terrace, overlain by a series of alluvial deposits potentially indicative of a channel of the Thames which later became the Blackfriars Mill stream. A number of the test pits also revealed a fairly homogeneous silty clay deposit, very similar to deposits identified elsewhere at the interface between the second terrace and the floodplain and interpreted as 12th-13th century land reclamation. This was overlain by a series of mixed, post-medieval deposits, which may represent construction debris from the recently dismantled structure. Evidence for the nature of the footings of the remaining standing walls of the structure and the associated southern boundary wall of the site was also revealed, together with a possible internal division within the structure

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:5475
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:19 Sep 2019 14:15
Last Modified:19 Sep 2019 14:15

Repository Staff Only: item control page