OA Library

Vanners, Bucklebury

Warner, Angela Vanners, Bucklebury. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
BUCKVA17.pdf

14MB

Abstract

Vanners is a recently-designated Grade II listed building constructed in the 16th or 17th century, and extended in 1974. Much alteration of the building has occurred during its history: originally constructed as a single dwelling, it was divided into three separate cottages in, probably, the 19th century. Around the same period the timber frame of the front, eastern, elevation was clad in brick and the outshot to the rear was extended. The cottages were sold by the Bucklebury estate in 1922 and the lean-to to the southern elevation constructed. In the mid-20th century, the cottages were recombined to a single dwelling and in 1974 a large brick-built extension was constructed at the north of the house and the first floor of the north bay of the earlier building altered to provide a corridor to the new bedrooms. The ground floor was less-altered internally, with a doorway cut through the external wall to provide access to the new drawing room. Many of the windows of the ground floor and rear elevation were also replaced, although some of the 19th-century windows survive. Throughout the remainder of the 20th century, minor additions and improvements were undertaken, most noticeably the construction of an entrance porch and, finally, a conservatory. The imminent planning application which has necessitated the historic building recording is for work which aims to create a home for the extended family of the current owners, the same family which restored the cottages to one dwelling in the 1960s.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Berkshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:5526
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:23 Oct 2019 08:16
Last Modified:23 Oct 2019 08:16

Repository Staff Only: item control page