OA Library

Former BBC Studios Woodhouse Lane, Leeds. Photographic Record.

Taylor, Karl (2006) Former BBC Studios Woodhouse Lane, Leeds. Photographic Record. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
L9513 final complete report Photo Record 2 of 2.pdf

44MB

Abstract

Following a planning application (Nos 20/401/04/CA and 20/412/04/LI) to Leeds City Council to demolish the former BBC Television Centre and reuse and alter the Grade II Listed Broadcasting House (a former Quaker Meeting House), Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) was commissioned by DTR:UK Ltd, acting on behalf of GMD Developments Ltd, to undertake a building investigation in March 2005. Conditional planning consent was granted pending the completion of the programme of archaeological building investigations. West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service (WYAAS), in their capacity as Leeds City Council’s archaeological advisors, provided a specification in order to allow the developer to meet the terms of the planning condition (Appendix 1). An outline of the history of the site was carried out by Mr John Trenouth, Head of Television at the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television in Bradford. This (together with information supplied by the BBC) revealed that the Quaker Meeting House with schoolrooms was opened on the site in 1868 and, following its closure in 1921, was acquired by the BBC in 1933. Broadcasting House (as it was then known) was then converted by the BBC into radio studios, which culminated in its conversion to accommodate Radio Leeds in 1973.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Geographical Areas > English Counties > West Yorkshire
ID Code:5673
Deposited By: barker
Deposited On:23 Jan 2020 12:20
Last Modified:23 Jan 2020 12:24

Repository Staff Only: item control page