OA Library

Palmers Yard Cherwell Warf Lower Cherwell Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire

Hiller, Jon (2002) Palmers Yard Cherwell Warf Lower Cherwell Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
BACWLC02.pdfA.pdf

3MB

Abstract

In May 2002 Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out an archaeological watching brief at Palmers Yard, Cherwell Wharf, Lower Cherwell Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire (NGR SP 4600 4037). The work was commissioned by, Victor Brown Chartered Architect on behalf of A Dodd and Son Construction Ltd. The watching brief took place in advance of the construction of 8 town houses and conversion of the old Town Hall to flats. The watching brief revealed no archaealogical features or deposits pre-dating the construction of fhe nearby Oxford Canal in 1790. A single brick-built structure was identitfied in section and partly in plan and represents the demolished remains of one of the wharf-side buildings constructed in the Victorian period. Ephemeral traces of other buildings were noted across the site.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:582
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:20 May 2011 13:47
Last Modified:22 Dec 2011 14:46

Repository Staff Only: item control page