OA Library

Cumnor Parish Cemetery Extension, Cumnor, Oxfordshire.

Bashford, Robin (2006) Cumnor Parish Cemetery Extension, Cumnor, Oxfordshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
cumce05.pdfA.pdf

6MB

Abstract

In October 2005, Oxford Archaeology carried out an evaluation on land adjacent to the existing graveyard of St Michael's Church, Cumnor, Oxfordshire (NGR SP 459 041). The work was carried out on behalf of Cumnor Parish Council, in advance of a proposed extension to the churchyard. The proposed extension lies immediately west of the site of the Benedictine retreat of Cumnor Place a quadrangle complex of the early 14th century which succeeded an earlier grange held at Abingdon Abbey. Structural remains found during the evaluation may relate to the early foundations of the abbey grange. Evidence for the 14th century groundworks associated with the later building were also recovered.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:799
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:15 Apr 2012 15:00
Last Modified:18 Apr 2012 13:56

Repository Staff Only: item control page