OA Library

HOLYWELL FORD, OXFORD

Bell, Christopher (1993) HOLYWELL FORD, OXFORD. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXHF93.pdfA.pdf

1MB

Abstract

Wall foundations of at least two phases of earlier nill structures were discovered in the area ilrr¡ediately to the north of the present builcling. The walls appear to be built on top of deep deposit of gravel and olay which ntay represent part of the original millbank. The existence of a very large feature, the bottom of which contained waterlogged deposits, was located to tlìe north and east of the mìll. Parts of the feature had only been fille.d in as recently as the l8th century, but some of the lower fills contained only nedieval pottery. It would seern likely fronr its size and character that this feature represents the backfilled mill pond. A large culving ditch, the top o1'which had again been backfilled in the 18th cerìtury, was found in tlie area of the orchard, some 35m to the east of the nill. This featLrre also produced a few shercls ol'ureclieval pottery froul some of the ìower 1'ìlls , bì.tt no datable fìnds were retrieved 1'ror¡ the bottom thìrd of the ditch, which contained waterlogged de¡rosits. The date and h¡nction of this feature is therelo|e unclear, bUt it is possibly that it was associatecl with the ntill (rerha¡:s as an overflow ditch for the ntill 1;ond or streanr).

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:808
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:18 Apr 2012 15:37
Last Modified:18 Apr 2012 16:41

Repository Staff Only: item control page