OA Library

Rear of 9 The Cathedral Close, Winchester, Hampshire

Teague, Steve (2010) Rear of 9 The Cathedral Close, Winchester, Hampshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
WINCM AY433 Winchester Cathedrals Education Centre_A1b.pdf

10MB
[img]
Preview
PDF
WINCM.AY433.pdfA.pdf

3MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology undertook an archaeological evaluation and geotechnical borehole monitoring at the rear garden of No. 9, The Close, Winchester in advance of consideration by the Chapter of Winchester Cathedral to construct a single storey addition to the cathedral’s Education Centre at Cathedral Close, Winchester. Six evaluation trenches were excavated, three of which revealed the top of significant archaeology. This comprised a yard surface dating to the 14-15th centuries which occurred at depths of 0.95-1.05m below the existing surface (34.66- 34.79 m aOD). Towards the east of the site a wall foundation cutting the yard suggests the presence of late medieval structures. The yard was overlaid by thick dump of mortar rubble that probably derived from the demolition of monastic structures after the Dissolution of the Priory in 1539. Subsequently a garden soil developed across the site which appear to have been associated with a number of features, possibly planting beds. Three trenches revealed that the footings of the existing garden walls occur at depths of 0.39-0.72 below the existing surface. Towards the west of the site a Bellarmine jug datable to c 1640-1680 had been placed upside down within the foundation of the south garden wall. The wall at this point appears to have been re-built after the late 18th or early 19th centuries since part of a glass wine bottle of this date had been incorporated into its foundation.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Primary Archives
Geographical Areas > English Counties > Hampshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:918
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:25 Sep 2012 16:12
Last Modified:14 Jan 2013 17:28

Repository Staff Only: item control page