OA Library

Rectory Farm, Great Gransden

Bush, Louise (2012) Rectory Farm, Great Gransden. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd, Bar Hill. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report1395_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

2MB

Abstract

On the 8th and 9th August 2012 Oxford Archaeology East carried out an archaeological evaluation on land adjacent to Rectory Farm, Great Gransden (NGR 527147 255584), in advance of the installation of ground source heating pumps. Trench 1 revealed evidence for the foundations of a wall which contained residual Roman pottery, along with a shallow pit tentatively interpreted as a sunken-featured building (SFB), possibly dating to the Anglo-Saxon period. The pit contained animal bone fragments and a worked bone pin beater of possible late Anglo-Saxon date. Environmental samples taken from the pit recovered large amounts of charred grains. The trench also contained two small modern ditches and a post-medieval furrow. Trench 2 contained two ditches on separate alignments, both of which contained early medieval pottery. The larger of the two ditches also contained animal bone and a large amount of daub. Environmental samples from both ditches produced high numbers of charred grains. The eastern end of the trench was taken over by a quarry pit which contained post-medieval tile and early medieval pottery, implying that it had truncated away further archaeological features. Also observed in the section of Trench 2 was a buried soil horizon sealed between the topsoil and subsoil. This indicated that landscaping had occurred at some point where soil from the northern end of site had been pushed down slope.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Uncontrolled Keywords:Archaeological evaluation
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Early Medieval 410 - 1066 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:946
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:05 Nov 2012 10:45
Last Modified:05 Nov 2012 10:45

Repository Staff Only: item control page